His Holiness Moran Mar Baselios Marthoma Mathews II, the Catholicos of the East and 89th successor to the Holy Apostolic Throne of St Thomas, was born on January 30, 1915 at Perinad in Kollam District of Kerala. His Holiness had his early education in a local school. After his high school education he had his training at Old Seminary, Kottayam and also at Basil Dayara, Pathanamthitta. Later he joined Bishop’s College, Calcutta for his B.D. Degree. He had his higher education in theology at General Theological Seminary, New York. He was ordained as Deacon in 1938 and as Priest in 1941. It was during his stay at St George Dayara, Othara that Father Mathews made a mark as a devoted and an able priest of the Indian Orthodox Church. He was noted for his spiritual leadership and loving nature and could endear himself to everyone who came in contact with him. He was known as “Father Angel” at that time. On May 15, 1953 he was ordained as a Bishop of Orthodox church. He was only thirty eight then. The young Bishop grew in stature very soon. As Metropolitan of the Diocese of Kollam he was fully responsible for its growth and progress and the number of parishes almost doubled within a short period. Several monasteries and convents were started. A large number of educational institutions and hospitals were established. His services in the field of education and social service are all very well known. Several colleges, schools, hospitals and other service institutions were successfully established and administered under his direct control and leadership. He has travelled wide in various countries: the United States, Canada, Europe, Malaya, Singapore, Gulf countries etc. and has attended various international meetings and conferences. It was in 1980 that he was unanimously elected by the Malankara Syrian Christian Association as successor to the throne of Catholicos of the East and Malankara Metropolitan.
He was noted for his spiritual leadership and loving nature and could endear himself to everyone who came in contact with him. He was known as “Father Angel” at that time.A good orator, an eminent scholar, a renowned theologian, an able administrator and a man of the Word of God, he had all the qualities needed for a spiritual leader and a good shepherd. With his intelligence, wisdom, love and vision and with his vast experience in various fields he proved himself successful as a skillful ecclesiastical head of an ancient Church. With his devotion and dedication in life and sincerity of purpose, no doubt the community at large is benefited by his true Christian life as a servant of God in the service of mankind. He entered into eternal rest on 26 Jan 2006 and was laid to rest in Mar Elia Chapel Sasthamcotta.